Sylvan Lane Interceptor Sewer Improvements
George, Miles & Buhr, LLC (GMB) provided planning, design, bid phase, and construction phase services for the Sylvan Lane Interceptor Sewer Improvements project. The existing interceptor is part of the Sucker Branch Interceptor and is located mostly off-road following the Sucker Branch stream. The project included a stream crossing, wetlands and wetland buffers, working in waters of the U.S., difficult access, a historical structure (Mentzell Paper Company Foundation), and work under an active CSX railroad line. The terrain includes severe, highly erodible slopes making access and construction difficult. Following review of alternatives to increase the capacity and longevity of the system, the project included over 500 LF of CIPP lining of existing 15-inch diameter sewer, manhole rehabilitation / lining, replacement / re-alignment of over 200 LF of 16-inch diameter sewer. The project also included removal and replacement of the existing billing meter with a new flow meter and manhole along with associated electrical work, boulder slope stabilization and stream toe deflector, paving repair, and temporary access roads. In addition, given its location and size, permits were required including: MDE Water and Sewerage Construction Permit, Joint Federal / State Permit for Alteration of Floodplains, Waterways, Tidal or Nontidal Wetlands in Maryland. MDE NPDES Permit (NOI) along with a Phase 1 Archeological Survey, right of entry agreement from DNR, and construction agreement with CSX for sewer maintenance (lining).
GMB’s design team provided the following services as a part of the sewer design effort:
- Detailed site investigations.
- Preliminary Engineering Report (PER) with recommendations based on field investigations.
- Assembly, review and analysis of pertinent available record data.
- Hydraulic modeling of proposed improvements.
- CCTV Sewer Inspection and Manhole Inspection.
- Preparation of Construction Documents including detailed Contract Plans and Specifications.
- Preparation of Construction Cost Estimates.
- Provided recommendations regarding construction materials.
- Preparation of permit applications and documentation for agreements.
- QA/QC Reviews.
- Bidding Phase Services.
Construction Phase Services.